July 26, 2021

Sara’s Diary, Day 73 without baseball: Summer in a pandemic (Bleed Cubbie Blue)


Memorial Day weekend is the unofficial start of summer and with real feel temperatures near 80 this is easily the nicest weather Wrigleyville has seen in 2020. But summer in the COVID-19 pandemic seems fraught, as more people want to be outside at a time where the public health experts still advise social distancing, masks and no large gatherings. I’ve found myself wondering what exactly the summer of coronavirus will look like. I mean, we’ve already established that it is extremely unlikely fans will watch baseball at their favorite ballparks, but what exactly can we expect?

In the absence of guidance some people have thrown caution to the wind. On my walk today around the neighborhood I’d say 85 percent of people were gathered responsibly in small groups of two or four, wearing masks, or just sitting in a lawn chair alone reading a book. The other 15 percent were certainly pushing the envelope a bit, I saw a group of five young men playing basketball on a court that is marked as closed and a couple of families who had basically set up a party complete with tents, coolers, bags and other games in another park nearby. Don’t even get me started on the people in this…

Read “Sara’s Diary, Day 73 without baseball: Summer in a pandemic” at Bleed Cubbie Blue